Total Pageviews

Followers

Friday, February 11, 2011

In search of excellence

January 1st I began my journey to become "the-best-version-of-myself".  It is totally about working from the inside out.  Here are just a few things I'm working on, not necessarily in order of importance.
  • Daily inspirational reading
    • Rediscover Catholicism by Matthew Kelly
    • The Bible
    • My Sunday Missal
    • When God Winks at You by Squire Rushnell
    • The Catechism of the Catholic Church (May use for reference only)
  • Journaling
    • This blog is a start
    • Private hand written journal
  • Praying
    • Went to Church today and prayed for 10 minutes, 5 minutes of which I let God speak to me.  It was a very emotional experience, very humbling and comforting.  He did speak to me.  Now the hard part, listening and acting.
  • Exercising
    • Daily walk with dogs
    • M/W/F - 30 minute bicycling, strength training bands, sit-ups & stretching
    • T/TH - 1 hour intense workout with JT, personal trainer, and two close friends
  • Mindful eating
    • Less sugar, salt and fats
    • More fruits, vegetables and fiber
  • Service Project(s)
    • Chemo Cap Knitting (1 down, 1 to go)
    • Organizing a discussion group for the book "Rediscover Catholicism
  • Friendships
    • Social gatherings
    • Life experience dialogue
    • Reconnecting with old friends
    • Staying in touch
    • Being accessible
  • Family
    • Connecting and interacting with Sons
    • Date night with Husband
    • Staying in touch with extended family
    • Being accessible
You know the saying, be careful what you ask for?   Well.....he does answer prayers.  You may not always want what you ask for after all.   I have many real life examples.   I am scared to death about "Letting Go, Letting God" but his presence in my life, now and in the past reassures me that I'm never walking alone.  I have asked him to guide me to do "His Will".  Yup, his will, not mine.  This is really scary.  I know he won't let me fail, but the fear of the unknown is what frightens me most.  "Will I be able to deliver?", Will it be good enough?"  Will I be good enough?"  "How will my life change?"  "How will it change others around me?"

More to come.......stay posted.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, Nancy! I am not 55 but would like to follow you and your website. I recently listened to a podcast sermon by Greg Boyd, the pastor at my former church, Woodland Hills. He was doing a sermon series on what the Bible has to say about money. One of the questions he was asked by someone had to do with retirement planning, savings in general and how to reconcile this with trusing God to provide for us. Long story short....Greg spoke about how God instructs us in the Bible to plan and be prepared so one should think about savings for emergencies, job loss, retirment, etc. But, it is not Biblical to "hoard" what we now have so that we can coast through the last 30 years of life after we retire. That we should be wise and save, but also be generous with our money, time, talents now. Anyway, I thought of this while reading your goals/journal/in search of excellence and I thought that you are definately NOT coasting through your last 30 years! I can't wait to see what insights you gain from all of this and am inspired to work on my faith journey more as well. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm really inspired. Do you remember, not so many years ago I was a confirmation sponsor? How did we lose touch as Sponsor/Confirmee..Aunt/Niece...Mother/Son...Husband/Wife...Father/Daughter...Brother/Sister? I am open to talking with any of you, anytime, on your faith journey, or mine. I passively left the Catholic church (in mind) because I didn't understand it and because of all the bad press and my own bad feelings, however I have always been faithful and stood by my heritage. Some have actively left the church, to pursue other religions or not and are equally faithful, and don't care to understand the Catholic church, good points and bad. All I know is that God is now directing me into action, and yes, within the confines of the Catholic church. It's what is right for me. I asked, and I received, I sought, and I found, He knocked, and I opened the door. Matthew 7:7 Explore what may be right for you.
    Too all former Catholics...I can highly recommend the book mentioned "Rediscover Catholicism". It was eye opening for me. Being Catholic is so NOT about what the church wants us to do, but what God wants us to do. The church is just a forum to discover this through scripture, ritual practices, praying, confessing, engaging, treating everyone as family, being of service, fasting, reading the bible, and other spiritual reading. This book is written by a Catholic, but not a Priest, Bishop, Archbishop or the Pope. Just a normal person, like us.
    Who knew I would be awoken, touched, sent the Holy Spirit and why me? Believe me, I have asked him this question. For now, I trust He has a purpose for me. I'm open to all the possibilities He has in store for me. God Bless all who read this, hear His word, seek his guidance, follow His will and make a difference in this world. One kind act at a time. In closing, "Whatsoever you do to the least of My brothers, that you do unto Me". Matthew 25:31-45

    ReplyDelete