Total Pageviews

Followers

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Questions for you to ponder

Have you ever wondered about your faith?  Have you ever been Poked by God?  If God was one of your friends on Facebook, how would it change the way you use Facebook or other social media?  Are you feeling disconnected in our fast paced electronically CONNECTED world?  Are you Catholic, past or present?  Are you Christian?  Are you happy?  What makes you really happy?  Do you really understand your mission in life?  If you want to discover these answers, you only need to ask yourself and turn to God.  To help you discover these answers may I suggest a book that may help?  First, let me tell you how I happened upon this book.  I WAS POKED BY GOD!
I have been trying to get more connected with friends and have been asking them to join me at various events.  The answer more often than not, is a polite no, I have other plans....etc.  Well one day, one of my friends asked me to join them to go to Mass and then out to eat with a few other couples.  Little did I know, that this meeting and Mass and dinner would change my life.  I worked that Saturday and I needed to meet the entire group, including Jeff at church as I would be coming directly from work.  The Mass started at 4p, but because this parish was not so set upon rules, they often times didn't start Mass until 4:15p.  Great, I thought.  I won't really be late.  I left work at 4p and drove to church with a fervor like no other.  I was going to be spending time at church celebrating my faith with good friends and my husband.  I was excited to have this experience.  When I arrived, Mass had already begun and I found my friends seated near the front so without making too much of a scene I sat down with them.  Jeff, was no where to be found...I thought he may have changed his mind, but no, after several minutes I discovered he was sitting on the other side of church with his ailing Aunt.  When it was convenient to do so, I joined Jeff on his side with his Aunt.  The service was Mass as usual, but the most profound thing that happened that day was not the sermon, but the invitation by the Priest at the end of Mass to pick up one of the books that had been donated (by someone?) to parishioners.  It may have been announced at church before I arrived, I'm not really sure how this Parish received these books.   I also was not sure if it would be appropriate to take one, not being a regular parishioner and all, I hesitated...but then saw some of my friends take one, so I did too.  I brought it home and promptly put in on the counter along with all the other collections of papers, mail, tax documents, recipes, Christmas cards and such.  Yes, my counter is a collection spot for clutter.  Now that's another blog story.

Week 1 goes by...book remains unopened.  Week 2...dust is gathering.  Week 3...I decide to give it a try...What the heck...having more time on my hands these days...what will it hurt?  Not only did I open the book, I opened my eyes and heart to some of my longings.  The longings for guidance of my faith and my life journey.  Oh oh....did I open Pandora's box?  What have I got myself into?  I was stunned, surprised, enlightened, soothed, inspired and glad as heck I read the book.  It is not the end all of my journey, but it is pointing me in the right direction.  It is opening up possibilities for me to become the "best-version-of-myself".

I was at the right place, at the right time to receive God's POKE.  For every action, there is a reaction, for every choice we make, there is a consequence.  My reaction to God's poke is to POKE others.  Spread the the information, let the eagles and angels soar.  I choose to share this information with you, so what is the consequence? You may turn away from me in fear, fear that I will try to evangelize you or be drawn to me to seek out more information.  I leave the consequence in the hands of God. 

Your life is your own journey.  May you find happiness and contentment in the spirit of God.  Ponder this verse from the bible.

Ask, and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened to you.  Matthew 7:7

Oh yeah, the book is titled "Rediscover Catholicism" by Matthew Kelly.  He is not associated with the Catholic church, other than he is Catholic.  He is not a Priest, Bishop, Archbishop or the Pope.  He is just a regular guy who has journeyed around the world observing and studying the Catholic Church and Christianity. 

For more information on this book and the author go to his website http://www.matthewkelly.org/. 
You can get a free copy of the book on this site for just shipping and handling costs.

You have been duly POKED.

No comments:

Post a Comment